Skip to main content

Author Series: Tony Horwitz and Geraldine Brooks

I've been shooting the "Author Series" for the Hay Adams Hotel in DC Since spring of 2011.  They invite well known authors like Toni Morrison and David McCullough to a lunch at the hotel where they would have a book signing and a presentation about their book they've released.  It is usually followed by a Q&A session where attendees can ask questions directly to the authors.

Canon 50mm 1.2L, Canon 5D MKII.


The meals are specifically prepared by Chef Peter Schaffrath with full intention of incorporating the elements of the theme of the day which would be the theme of the book. For instance, for this series the book "Caleb's Crossing"was set in the 1600's in Martha's Vinards. So the chef did some research to come up with a modern version of something that would've been prepared around that geographical location and during that time period.  Pretty cool.

The Hay Adams Hotel take pride in their literary heritage. This hotel is built on the foundation of the mansion where John Hay and Henry Adams resided around the turn of the century.  The house was well known by intellectuals of the time like Mark Twain and artists alike to be a gathering place for a lively disscussion that included books and authors.
Canon 24mm 3.5L TSE, Canon 5D MKII


Kay Enokido, the President of the Hay Adams, is the mastermind behind the Author's Series.  She has also established the hotel as one of the "Best Hotels In The World" for many years.  Its no wonder that a slew of celebrities like Brad Pitt have stayed there.  I almost hit Senator Kerry by mistake with my tripod coming out of the elevator one day.  

Canon 135mm 2.0L, Canon 5D MKII

Husband and wife authors, Geraldine Brooks and Tony Horwits was being interviewed by Washington Post's Ron Charles after the lunch. Their books "Caleb's Crossing" and "Midnight Rising" was the topic.

The room is wonderfully lit with natural light coming in from the wall of windows that faces out to the White House. The 135 2.0L was perfect. The lens is so sharp in focus and out of focus areas are like butter.   With the full frame sensor of the 5D MKII, It worked like a dream.

Canon 35mm 1.4L, Canon 5D MKII

I'm always looking for a split moment that makes for an interesting picture. Her gesture and expression only lasted a fraction of a second but that short window allowed an interesting photo.  

Canon 135mm 2.0L, Canon 5D MKII.
Tony Horwitz having a laugh before the lunch with Ron Charles. 

I guess the 'straiten up and look at the camera' photos are necessary in life, much like root canals. And Just like a root canals, I will only do it if its absolutely necessary.  It looks to me when people line up for those photos, it resembles preparing one selves from a firing squad. I come only in peace.

I always believe in letting people do what they do. That way we get to see how they are as a person.  After all, isn't that what makes us... US? 


Canon 50mm 1.2L, Canon 5D MKII.
Geraldine Brooks during the book signing.

I always like shooting through people and using them to compose within the composition.  I always think its more interesting when there are "layers" in the photograph.  This kind of over-the-shoulder shots gives the impression that you are peeking through the crowd.  One of my goal when I shoot an assignment like this is to give it some feeling of experiencing the event as opposed to just showing the event. 


Canon 135mm 2.0L, Canon 5D MKII

Canon 135mm 2.0L, Canon 5D MKII

Canon 135mm 2.0L, Canon 5D MKII

Canon 35mm 1.4L, Canon 5D MKII

I thought both authors were very likable and genuine people.  I appreciated the way that he didn't seem to have too much fluff about him.  He has his no-nonsense shirt sleeves rolled up ready to work, and as he was signing the books he seemed truly happy doing it.  They both are Pulitzer Prize winning writers and the humbleness that they both have was very welcoming and admirable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston: B&W Architecture with Leica Q2M: From a Purist Perspective.

I swear I was going to switch out my black and white ONLY Leica Q2M to a regular Q2 color camera before going to this trip.  I"m glad I didn't.   Oh, before I forget, take a look at my icandy slide shows .  I will be making slideshows that is designed for big screen TV's.  Take a look at this one: Ok, back to the topic on hand.  So one of the most asked question about the Leica Q2M is, 'why limit yourself to just black and white when you can easily convert color photos to BW?'  Very good question.  My answer is,  if you know with certainty you want the best quality BW image possible, you want the dedicated monochrome camera.  Am I being a staunch purist? or is there a practical argument for it? Let's talk about it.  Beacon Street Boston,  MA One of many beautiful architecture on that hill.   First, this camera doesn't have any moire filter on the sensor.  Moire filters are on most color camera sensors to get rid of those annoying repeating patterns that loo

Let There be (additional wirelessly controlled portable electronic) Light! With Canon 600RT

Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  I've always held fast to the notion that there is nothing more beautiful of a light source than the natural light and I still do. I sometimes like to at least try to prove myself wrong. The reason being is that I believe that your ideas can, and should change… At least welcome the notion of that change. As it is true with many of my photographic ideas, some of the ideas have roots that goes way back.  I was flirting with the idea of shooting nature with electronic flash. Yes, that's sacrilegious to many including myself, till I realized that while believing in something strongly is good, holding onto something too strongly can lead to stagnation. And as we know, stagnation leads to death! Yes, Death! (repetition for dramatic effect). Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  So today I headed out to the woods to test out this idea. Armed wit

Backpacking the Sierras (with my tiny but mighty camera)

Over the summer I had the chance to hike the James Muir Trail (JMT) that runs along the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.  This trail starts at the Yosemite Valley and ends at Mount Whitney summit, which is the highest point in the lower 48 states at 14,505 feet.  The trail is 211 miles long with total elevation gain of 47,000 feet.   Click here to see the entire gallery Me by Garnet Lake  This was not a "photo" expedition for me (even though I did take a small camera and took around 4K photos!) I had many reasons why I didn't want to make it a photography trip.  Do you want to know why? Ok. My hiking crew.  Mt. Ritter in the back there yonder. Reason number 1).  This was my first real through hike.  For you newcomers a "through hike" means to hike in one session or outing, the entire length of a particular trail.  I've done multi-day section hikes on the  Appalachian Trail (AT) before, but for this hike we scheduled 23 days.  So, this was not just a