Skip to main content

My photo contributions to Delta Sky Mag

I've been a regular photography contributor to the Delta Sky Mag. I'll post some outtakes from the shoots and talk a little about each shot.

Georgetown, Washington D.C.

Middleburg, Virginia. These stories always start with a wide pano. This Middleburg pano was a challange because of the parked cars.  Modern cars are so bad for pictures!  The trees were also a problem. In an old town like this, trees are old too, so they're huge and covers the shopfronts. I had to stand on a small ledge so I can see over the cars to include both sides of the shops. I also placed the trees in between the two rows of shops. Sometimes you have to work with what you have.


I enjoy shooting for these types of stories where I just roam around and try to depict the flavor of a specific town. Of coarse the businesses are notified before hand, but I try to get a perspective of a person who is enjoying the town.

Middleburg is a small, cozy historic town located about an hour South East of Washington D.C. 
With the reflection of the colonial architecture in the background, I was able to show not only the shopfront but setting of the historic town.

This is Georgetown. Wanted to show the location and the shopping aspect of the town.Shot with 28 1.8 stopped down a bit to get everything in focus. I shot this for the pano, as you can see by the headroom and vast empty street on the lower side.  but they didn't want people for the opening shot. Understood.


 One of Hillary Rhoda's favorite shop in Georgetown. I was playing with the curve of the furniture with the legs of the woman in the background. I almost always try to shoot with available light. With my 50 1.2L, I can get that selective focus that I really like.


Boxwood Winery in Middleburg. Very hi-tech facility. I thought the light from the room spilling out and the darkness of the foreground contrasts nicely.


This restaurant wasn't on the shot list, but I thought it gave a flavor of the American small town. If it wasn't for the dark tree, his light shirt would've blended with the reflection.


Hi end shopping center north of Georgetown. I didn't want to hone in on the label of the shop, since I wanted to get the "sense" of the shop, not necessarily the shop itself.  But the two cropped out signs does show the full name of the shop. I used my 100mm 2.0 and showed the bag back lit to accentuate the product.


In an assignment like this, you have to be able to switch from interiors, landscape, product, food, street, and portraits. That's why I like this type of an assignment, so much mixture! I normally would not use 28mm for a portrait. But for an environmental portrait like this, I do because it allows me to show what this person is about. 

 Small little French cafe in Georgetown. This is a good example of showing people, but not showing people. We wanted the viewer of the magazine to see what the town is about and what it has to offer.  That usually involves people most of the time. But the trick is to show the person without them being the subject. Here, the subject is the tiny cup that I deliberately put against her white shirt. Selective focus also places the attention to the cup, not the bartender.






Comments

  1. Your work is inspirational! There is a subtleness of simplicity that makes your images very memorable. Thanks for sharing some great tips throughout your posts!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mimi. As you've noticed, my tips are more about developing the vision rather than the technical.

    I like to use this example; In a road trip, knowing where you want to go is the vision, the car is the means to get there (cameras... equipment). If we don't know where we want to go, it doesn't matter if we have a Bentley, because it will be just parked. If you know where you want to go, than you can shop for the car that is suited for your journey. That's why I believe the destination has to come first.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boston: B&W Architecture with Leica Q2M: From a Purist Perspective.

I swear I was going to switch out my black and white ONLY Leica Q2M to a regular Q2 color camera before going to this trip.  I"m glad I didn't.   Oh, before I forget, take a look at my icandy slide shows .  I will be making slideshows that is designed for big screen TV's.  Take a look at this one: Ok, back to the topic on hand.  So one of the most asked question about the Leica Q2M is, 'why limit yourself to just black and white when you can easily convert color photos to BW?'  Very good question.  My answer is,  if you know with certainty you want the best quality BW image possible, you want the dedicated monochrome camera.  Am I being a staunch purist? or is there a practical argument for it? Let's talk about it.  Beacon Street Boston,  MA One of many beautiful architecture on that hill.   First, this camera doesn't have any moire filter on the sensor.  Moire filters are on most color camera sensors to get rid of those annoying repeating patterns that loo

Let There be (additional wirelessly controlled portable electronic) Light! With Canon 600RT

Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  I've always held fast to the notion that there is nothing more beautiful of a light source than the natural light and I still do. I sometimes like to at least try to prove myself wrong. The reason being is that I believe that your ideas can, and should change… At least welcome the notion of that change. As it is true with many of my photographic ideas, some of the ideas have roots that goes way back.  I was flirting with the idea of shooting nature with electronic flash. Yes, that's sacrilegious to many including myself, till I realized that while believing in something strongly is good, holding onto something too strongly can lead to stagnation. And as we know, stagnation leads to death! Yes, Death! (repetition for dramatic effect). Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  So today I headed out to the woods to test out this idea. Armed wit

Backpacking the Sierras (with my tiny but mighty camera)

Over the summer I had the chance to hike the James Muir Trail (JMT) that runs along the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.  This trail starts at the Yosemite Valley and ends at Mount Whitney summit, which is the highest point in the lower 48 states at 14,505 feet.  The trail is 211 miles long with total elevation gain of 47,000 feet.   Click here to see the entire gallery Me by Garnet Lake  This was not a "photo" expedition for me (even though I did take a small camera and took around 4K photos!) I had many reasons why I didn't want to make it a photography trip.  Do you want to know why? Ok. My hiking crew.  Mt. Ritter in the back there yonder. Reason number 1).  This was my first real through hike.  For you newcomers a "through hike" means to hike in one session or outing, the entire length of a particular trail.  I've done multi-day section hikes on the  Appalachian Trail (AT) before, but for this hike we scheduled 23 days.  So, this was not just a