Skip to main content

Remembering Mexico

I was going through my pictures and I thought I'd post some photos taken during my Mexico trip in 2001 stay.

I really like this photo of this young mother. Look at the wonder of the boy's face, seeing a foreigner for the first time. The mother's body curved around to protect the child. Her face is generous and welcoming. This somewhat symbolizes motherhood for me.  This was shot with a Mamiya C330 twin lens reflex medium format. I enjoyed shooting that camera. Very quiet shutter, and built like a tank. 


This young girl's eye caught my eye. I liked the background with the bus and the people. I was waiting patiently for something to happen in the foreground.  The girl turned to see what I was doing. This was shot with a Hassleblad with a waist level finder.  The finder came in handy for this shot because it allowed me to raise up the camera so that I can show the group of people entering the bus. 

A little girl running in a playground. Shot with a Hassleblad and 80mm CF. Had the shutter speed at 500th second to capture the motion. 


In a small market square.  Love his facial expression. The contrast of his jacket and the washed background really makes him pop. Hasselblad 500cm with 80mm CF. Many people think that medium format cameras are not practical for street type of photography. Sure, it has its drawbacks. (for me slow film changing is the biggest drawback. Yes, if you have extra magazines it would be quicker than lightning but I like to travel light) I found that the Hassleblad is quite capable in street type shooting. specially with the waist level finder, you can be very low key. The noise... yes its loud, but when you're outside its not that bad. 


This was downtown Morelia. Beautiful city. Wonderful architecture, and known for their candies. The state is also known for the monarch butterfly migration where, I think ALL of the monarch butterflies fly there once a year. Caught this group of nursing students between the rushing traffic.


This little vendor girl was so bored. Tzin Tzun Tzan, the island is called. They have their own indigenous government. This island was never conquered by the Spaniards. They're so proud of that fact, that they've erected a large statue made out of stone to commemorate that part of history on the top of the island. By the way, if you are not indigenous to that island, you cannot stay there overnight. You need to leave before nighttime. That mentality of being weary of foreigners is still embedded into their culture. The people are very friendly and welcoming to visitors, just abide by the rules.  The girl is selling fried something like anchovies. They're plentiful in the surrounding rivers.


I love the textures in Mexico. The horizontal lines of the stairs and the vertical line of the subject makes an interesting composition I think.

I will always remember my time in Mexico and I always think of the same thing, 'I should have taken more pictures'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston: B&W Architecture with Leica Q2M: From a Purist Perspective.

I swear I was going to switch out my black and white ONLY Leica Q2M to a regular Q2 color camera before going to this trip.  I"m glad I didn't.   Oh, before I forget, take a look at my icandy slide shows .  I will be making slideshows that is designed for big screen TV's.  Take a look at this one: Ok, back to the topic on hand.  So one of the most asked question about the Leica Q2M is, 'why limit yourself to just black and white when you can easily convert color photos to BW?'  Very good question.  My answer is,  if you know with certainty you want the best quality BW image possible, you want the dedicated monochrome camera.  Am I being a staunch purist? or is there a practical argument for it? Let's talk about it.  Beacon Street Boston,  MA One of many beautiful architecture on that hill.   First, this camera doesn't have any moire filter on the sensor.  Moire filters are on most color camera sensors to get rid of those annoying repeating patterns that loo

Backpacking the Sierras (with my tiny but mighty camera)

Over the summer I had the chance to hike the James Muir Trail (JMT) that runs along the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.  This trail starts at the Yosemite Valley and ends at Mount Whitney summit, which is the highest point in the lower 48 states at 14,505 feet.  The trail is 211 miles long with total elevation gain of 47,000 feet.   Click here to see the entire gallery Me by Garnet Lake  This was not a "photo" expedition for me (even though I did take a small camera and took around 4K photos!) I had many reasons why I didn't want to make it a photography trip.  Do you want to know why? Ok. My hiking crew.  Mt. Ritter in the back there yonder. Reason number 1).  This was my first real through hike.  For you newcomers a "through hike" means to hike in one session or outing, the entire length of a particular trail.  I've done multi-day section hikes on the  Appalachian Trail (AT) before, but for this hike we scheduled 23 days.  So, this was not just a

Let There be (additional wirelessly controlled portable electronic) Light! With Canon 600RT

Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  I've always held fast to the notion that there is nothing more beautiful of a light source than the natural light and I still do. I sometimes like to at least try to prove myself wrong. The reason being is that I believe that your ideas can, and should change… At least welcome the notion of that change. As it is true with many of my photographic ideas, some of the ideas have roots that goes way back.  I was flirting with the idea of shooting nature with electronic flash. Yes, that's sacrilegious to many including myself, till I realized that while believing in something strongly is good, holding onto something too strongly can lead to stagnation. And as we know, stagnation leads to death! Yes, Death! (repetition for dramatic effect). Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  So today I headed out to the woods to test out this idea. Armed wit