Skip to main content

Ex President's Homes in DC

Shot for the Washingtonian Magazine for their "Before the White House" article.  It was fun visiting these homes and talking to the owners about what they know and have learned over the years.

This story shows the homes of some presidents before they moved into the White House.  The presidents that I covered was Bush Sr., Kennedy, Nixon, Ford, Harding, and Johnson.


John F. Kennedy 3307 N St. NE DC
JF Kennedy's house
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
This House was a bit of a challenge because I did not want to show cars or street signs. Just off the the left of the shot is the street, so I didn't have too much space to work with.  From this angle I was able to keep the composition pristine as possible. Just to the right was a bunch of construction workers moving stuff around.  The wide 24mm with the perspective correction allowed me this shot from such a tight vantage point. I love this lens! 

JF Kennedy's house. Back view.
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
The owner told me that the back of the house was built first then the front was added later on.  Look at that pear tree climbing the wall. 


Gerald Ford 514 Crown View Dr. Alexandria
Gerald Ford's house
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
His driveway had to be reinforced because the armored Presidential motorcade was much too heavy for the original driveway and would have sunk the car.  All of the owners were very helpful and accommodating for the story. Thank you, once again! 

Gerald Ford's house
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
Photo courtesy of Tim and Helen Lloyd
The book shelves you see behind President Ford is the same shelves you see on the current picture.  Despite the upgrades, the owner kept some of the original charm of the house during the era. For instance, the color of the floor is very similar to the original flooring the Ford's used to walk on. It was a pleasant surprise to the current owners that when they ripped up the flooring done by the next owners to Ford, the color was almost an exact match to the color the she had in mind. 

Gerald Ford's house
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
This was the garage that was turned into a big room where the secret service lived.  All these homes had a direct land line to the White House.  Some of them also had some high tech security measures. For instance,  Lyndon Johnson's house had a flooring sensor by the stairs to alert the secret service if somebody was walking up towards the bedroom. 


George H.W. Bush 5161 Palisade Lane NW DC
George H.W. Bush's House
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
See those tall trees to the right side of the house? That was planted by Barbara Bush to disrupt the view of their neighbors who often complained of the many crazy parties thrown by guess who… Yep, Bush Jr. 

George H.W. Bush's House
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
I tried this shot with lamps off and on.  I like this better because the cool foreground and the warm background by the incandescent light offered a nice contrast of colors. 


Richard Nixon 4308 Forest Lane, NW DC
Richard Nixon's House
Canon 5d MK3,  24-105 4L
I can't imagine the heating bill for this house!  I couldn't use the 24 TSE for the front of the house because for me to have composed for the house, I would need to be around where that tree is.  I wanted to include that rounded tree, so I back off and tighten the composition with the zoom. 

Richard Nixon's House
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
This is the back of the house. They sure lived it up, didn't they? The back view was pretty clean, meaning there was no trees I had to shoot around.  These older neighborhoods have beautiful mature trees that is great for shading and what not, but for pictures, it limits the angle.  So what I like to do is use the trees here and there to frame the house with it.  Which is what I did below.

Lyndon B. Johnson 4921 30th Place, NW DC
Lyndon Johnson's House
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
Getting around trees is tricky to do. Especially when the trees are so close to the house. I got bit lucky because the tree to the left was fairly naked where you can make out the house through it.  

Lyndon Johnson's House
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II

I had to do some re-arranging to the interior.  This assignment was not about making the interior look as good as possible, but it was more about how the room looks now as the current owners lives in them.  I thought this angle offered the best layout, but the chair that is to the right was where the camera was.  Moving the chair and having the chair pointed toward the middle of the room draws the attention back toward the center of the composition and fills the void in that corner, if there was nothing there. 


Warren G. Harding 2314 Wyoming Ave. NW DC
Warren G. Harding's House
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
This is a great example of how to use the tree to your advantage.  The house was very square in profile so I knew that there will be a lot of dead space to the sides.  Ha! a wonderfully lit tree! use the crap out of it! I thought to myself… I may have said it out loud. 

Warren G. Harding's House
Canon 5d MK3,  24mm 3.5L TSE II
This piano shawl was a gift from the Harding's family themselves.  Its funny when you look at the picture that you'll never know that to the left and to the right of the frame is moving boxes everywhere. The current resident was packing to move out of the house soon. Pictures are lies! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston: B&W Architecture with Leica Q2M: From a Purist Perspective.

I swear I was going to switch out my black and white ONLY Leica Q2M to a regular Q2 color camera before going to this trip.  I"m glad I didn't.   Oh, before I forget, take a look at my icandy slide shows .  I will be making slideshows that is designed for big screen TV's.  Take a look at this one: Ok, back to the topic on hand.  So one of the most asked question about the Leica Q2M is, 'why limit yourself to just black and white when you can easily convert color photos to BW?'  Very good question.  My answer is,  if you know with certainty you want the best quality BW image possible, you want the dedicated monochrome camera.  Am I being a staunch purist? or is there a practical argument for it? Let's talk about it.  Beacon Street Boston,  MA One of many beautiful architecture on that hill.   First, this camera doesn't have any moire filter on the sensor.  Moire filters are on most color camera sensors to get rid of those annoying repeating patterns that loo

Let There be (additional wirelessly controlled portable electronic) Light! With Canon 600RT

Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  I've always held fast to the notion that there is nothing more beautiful of a light source than the natural light and I still do. I sometimes like to at least try to prove myself wrong. The reason being is that I believe that your ideas can, and should change… At least welcome the notion of that change. As it is true with many of my photographic ideas, some of the ideas have roots that goes way back.  I was flirting with the idea of shooting nature with electronic flash. Yes, that's sacrilegious to many including myself, till I realized that while believing in something strongly is good, holding onto something too strongly can lead to stagnation. And as we know, stagnation leads to death! Yes, Death! (repetition for dramatic effect). Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  So today I headed out to the woods to test out this idea. Armed wit

Large Format ...Slight Return

Took out my Linhof 4x5 field camera out for a spin. Tripod, cable release, focusing cloth, loupe, lightmeter, and film holders! The gang's all here. Linhof Technica III, (circa 1940's) with Fujinon 150mm 5.6 a modern lens design.  Bull Run Park near Manassas VA.The camera is wonderfully made with machined aluminum with German engineering. Like Butter. Working with a 4x5 is a whole different world. It takes long to set up and there are so many things that you can screw up. "Did I cock the shutter? check focus?, meter reading, dark slide out? lock the movements?... There are like 13 different steps that you have to make to take a picture.  So why do it when I can just point my 5d and shoot in easy one two steps?  Reasons may vary, but I do it because of the camera movements. The tilts, swings, shifts. These cameras were made so you can technically control how the image hits the film plane. You can achieve "technically perfect" images, whatever that means.