Skip to main content

Panoramic Stitching with Canon 24mm 3.5L TSEII at Great Falls Park

I'm guilty! Guilty of neglecting my 617 crazy-pano film camera for a modern digicam.
Gaoersi 617 Medium format film camera with 90 Schneider lens.
Look at the wooden grips, the metallic  sound of the mechanical shutter, the gorgeous optics! What have I done? What is my sentence?  I beg you to be merciful!  '...Your sentence is the following...'

You will save around 50-80 bucks in color film processing fees!
You will also spend about 10 hours quality time doing whatever pleases you since you're not scanning!
You will also suffer the consequences of being able to work on your picture right away!

?!
I've always loved the pano format.  Especially the 617 medium format film cameras.  The image quality is just wonderful.  But to be honest, I've been shooting this camera less and less.  As a working professional, time is very important to me. Spending days scanning on my Epson 750 Pro has just become too much.  I like to multi pass the scans at high resolution, so it does take awhile. Not to mention dusts, cutting negs, sleeving… man, I've become so lazy.
Gaoersi 617 Medium format with 90mm Schneider.  Fuji NPC 160.
So I was pondering a way to get a nice high res panoramic image without spending a fortune on large format scanning backs or the dedicated pano camera that goes for $38,000! (Setiz 6x17).

Sure, stitching from my 5D MK3 is an option, but I never really liked the fact that you just cut off the edges after you've merged the photos together.  If you want to do huge wall prints, any pixels you throw out haunts you at night.  The reason behind why you lose resolution is when you pan the camera for the left and right parts, the perspective changes slightly, and that slight change in perspective is enough to make the outer edges not even, where you will need to crop out later for a clean rectangular format, thus losing image quality.  Not to mention composing will be more of a guess out in the field.

This is where my 24mm L TSEII  lens comes in!

24mm TSEII shifted to right

24mm TSEII shifted to left
Technique

The TSEII lens allows the entire lens elements to shift and tilt to allow the photographer to change how the image hits the sensor.  It allows similar movements that a large format view cameras are capable of. The above images shows the lens shifted right and left.  It is capable of more movements, but I will only talk about the shift movement since that is what is being used for the pano stitching.
Canon 5d MK3 with 24mm L 3.5 TSEII lens.Two images stitched together in PS. 
To put it simply, when I shift the lens to the left and then right to take each side's picture, it allows the camera body to remain still (no panning) on the tripod, so the perspective of the camera does not change. So by shifting the lens left or right, you are able to see the sides without turning the camera.  You'll find that using this lens and technique, that you will not need to crop out any part of the image.  What you've shot, you will keep it all!  Actually, you do need to crop just a hair sometimes because of slight shift of the tripod/head when you touched the lens to shift the lens from one side to the other.

Canon 5d MK3 with 24mm L 3.5 TSEII lens.Two images stitched together in PS. 
I've found that setting up the tripod, leveling the camera (built in level) and firing off two shots with the lens shifted left then right, is pretty painless process.  To compose, just shift the lens left to compose the left side of the composition and then shift the lens right to see the right side of the composition. After you are happy with what your composition looks like, go ahead and shoot the two images.
Canon 5d MK3 with 24mm L 3.5 TSEII lens.Two images stitched together in PS. 
You'll need to shoot in manual mode and keep the same exposure for both sides so they will be seamless.  Use the histogram to carefully see if both sides of the composition is within the range of acceptable exposure.
Canon 5d MK3 with 24mm L 3.5 TSEII lens.Two images stitched together in PS. 
I always shoot left then right. This keeps me from confusion when I import the images into the Lightroom.

Post Processing Workflow

What I do is I work the image in Lightroom.  I work on one side first then I copy the settings and paste to the other side.  Keeping it exactly the same is the key here.  I also lighten the outer edges (left corners of the left composition, and right corners of the right composition).  I do this because there is a natural light fall off when the lens is shifted to extreme sides.
Canon 5d MK3 with 24mm L 3.5 TSEII lens.Two images stitched together in PS. 
Once it is worked in lightroom, I "edit in" Photoshop (CS5.5).  I simply use Photomerge under File/Automate/Photomerge and use "reposition" setting.  If you were NOT using this shift technique, you would use the "perspective" setting.  Once you click ok, you should have a very high resolution panoramic image that you have composed accurately (because of no cropping needed).
Canon 5d MK3 with 24mm L 3.5 TSEII lens.Two images stitched together in PS. 
With this combo, you still can't shoot things that are moving, nor can you shoot handheld.  Maybe that's my sentence of not shooting a real "one shot" pano camera.  But as I've mentioned before, choose your weapon for each battle!  if you're shooting trees without legs or river that been there for half a million years, you don't have to worry about things moving.

So far, this is only way that makes sense to me to shoot high res digital pano with ability to accurately compose each shots.  Any other ideas are welcomed.  Side note:  After stitching the images, the pano ratio is 6x15 not quite as wide as the 6x17… but not stubby as 6x12.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston: B&W Architecture with Leica Q2M: From a Purist Perspective.

I swear I was going to switch out my black and white ONLY Leica Q2M to a regular Q2 color camera before going to this trip.  I"m glad I didn't.   Oh, before I forget, take a look at my icandy slide shows .  I will be making slideshows that is designed for big screen TV's.  Take a look at this one: Ok, back to the topic on hand.  So one of the most asked question about the Leica Q2M is, 'why limit yourself to just black and white when you can easily convert color photos to BW?'  Very good question.  My answer is,  if you know with certainty you want the best quality BW image possible, you want the dedicated monochrome camera.  Am I being a staunch purist? or is there a practical argument for it? Let's talk about it.  Beacon Street Boston,  MA One of many beautiful architecture on that hill.   First, this camera doesn't have any moire filter on the sensor.  Moire filters are on most color camera sensors to get rid of those annoying repeating patterns that loo

Let There be (additional wirelessly controlled portable electronic) Light! With Canon 600RT

Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  I've always held fast to the notion that there is nothing more beautiful of a light source than the natural light and I still do. I sometimes like to at least try to prove myself wrong. The reason being is that I believe that your ideas can, and should change… At least welcome the notion of that change. As it is true with many of my photographic ideas, some of the ideas have roots that goes way back.  I was flirting with the idea of shooting nature with electronic flash. Yes, that's sacrilegious to many including myself, till I realized that while believing in something strongly is good, holding onto something too strongly can lead to stagnation. And as we know, stagnation leads to death! Yes, Death! (repetition for dramatic effect). Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  So today I headed out to the woods to test out this idea. Armed wit

Backpacking the Sierras (with my tiny but mighty camera)

Over the summer I had the chance to hike the James Muir Trail (JMT) that runs along the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.  This trail starts at the Yosemite Valley and ends at Mount Whitney summit, which is the highest point in the lower 48 states at 14,505 feet.  The trail is 211 miles long with total elevation gain of 47,000 feet.   Click here to see the entire gallery Me by Garnet Lake  This was not a "photo" expedition for me (even though I did take a small camera and took around 4K photos!) I had many reasons why I didn't want to make it a photography trip.  Do you want to know why? Ok. My hiking crew.  Mt. Ritter in the back there yonder. Reason number 1).  This was my first real through hike.  For you newcomers a "through hike" means to hike in one session or outing, the entire length of a particular trail.  I've done multi-day section hikes on the  Appalachian Trail (AT) before, but for this hike we scheduled 23 days.  So, this was not just a