Skip to main content

Childhood Memories... By Bessa R3M

I can't believe that I used to live here about 30 years ago.  Brunswick, a very small town on the border of Virginia and Maryland.

Bessa R3M 40 1.4 MC Nokton. Kodak Portra 400

I was about 10 years old and my parents ran the only grocery store in the town.  After school I would go to the store and hang out and rummage around some old junk in the storage...  Old tin beer signs, big poster boards with items that was on sale and other junk that would only fascinate a 10 year old child who recently immigrated from a country he hardly knew himself.

As I was deep in my mischief, I would always hear the horns of the freight trains that was less than a block away from the store. Me and my brother used to play around the tracks too. putting down coins or rocks on the tracks and hiding behind a bush before a big diesel locomotive would run by and smash it to a point where we couldn't find any traces of them after it was run over.

Bessa R3M 40 1.4 MC Nokton. Kodak Portra 400

Its a fond memory for me.  I've revisited that small town a few times now and things have not changed too much.  Our store is an antique shop now. But you can still see the little "modifications" that my dad did three decades ago to the walls or the ceilings that the new owners did not bother to fix or replace. The years has not been too good to this town, as many other small towns across the US.

I borrowed a film camera from a friend of mine, a Bessa R3M.  All mechanical, full manual rangefinder.  I decided to take a walk in that old rail yard and give the camera a spin.

Bessa R3M 40 1.4 MC Nokton. Kodak Portra 400


Very cluttered rail yard.  For those of you who don't know me, I'm always attracted to these type of settings.  Not so picturesque, not too glorious, not considered important.  I don't know why I see beauty in these places.  Since it was my first few rolls with the camera,  I wanted to see how it handled back lighting.  The 40 Nokton, I thought performed nicely.  I like the streaking and the triangular pattern of the flare.  Technically, not desirable but I like the look of in-camera flare.

Bessa R3M 40 1.4 MC Nokton. Kodak Portra 400

I shot mostly stopped down. To my surprise, I liked the "everything-in-focus" look that I saw when looking through the viewfinder.  I tend to favor shallow depth of field but with these series, I wanted more "point and shoot" feel.  I guess subconsciously I wanted these pictures to look like it came from a person who was revisiting, as opposed to a professional photographer working.  I didn't want to use any extreme camera angle because a visiter would not do that.  

Bessa R3M 40 1.4 MC Nokton. Kodak Portra 400

I haven't shot 35mm film in a while.  The low quality from small 35mm negs and chemical stains from the sprocket (I was going to complain to the lab about it, but I think it works here) and deep point and shoot like depth of field got me the look of nostalgia that I wanted. 

Bessa R3M 40 1.4 MC Nokton. Kodak Portra 400

I didn't even clean out the dust spots. These could've been prints from your dad's old albums, complete with sloppy black borders.  

It was fun shooting the Bessa.  Of coarse, the photographer has the ultimate last word in how the picture will look, but I think the Bessa was nudging me into a certain look that was befitting this particular project.  

Bessa R3M 40 1.4 MC Nokton. Kodak Portra 400


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston: B&W Architecture with Leica Q2M: From a Purist Perspective.

I swear I was going to switch out my black and white ONLY Leica Q2M to a regular Q2 color camera before going to this trip.  I"m glad I didn't.   Oh, before I forget, take a look at my icandy slide shows .  I will be making slideshows that is designed for big screen TV's.  Take a look at this one: Ok, back to the topic on hand.  So one of the most asked question about the Leica Q2M is, 'why limit yourself to just black and white when you can easily convert color photos to BW?'  Very good question.  My answer is,  if you know with certainty you want the best quality BW image possible, you want the dedicated monochrome camera.  Am I being a staunch purist? or is there a practical argument for it? Let's talk about it.  Beacon Street Boston,  MA One of many beautiful architecture on that hill.   First, this camera doesn't have any moire filter on the sensor.  Moire filters are on most color camera sensors to get rid of those annoying repeating patterns that loo

Backpacking the Sierras (with my tiny but mighty camera)

Over the summer I had the chance to hike the James Muir Trail (JMT) that runs along the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.  This trail starts at the Yosemite Valley and ends at Mount Whitney summit, which is the highest point in the lower 48 states at 14,505 feet.  The trail is 211 miles long with total elevation gain of 47,000 feet.   Click here to see the entire gallery Me by Garnet Lake  This was not a "photo" expedition for me (even though I did take a small camera and took around 4K photos!) I had many reasons why I didn't want to make it a photography trip.  Do you want to know why? Ok. My hiking crew.  Mt. Ritter in the back there yonder. Reason number 1).  This was my first real through hike.  For you newcomers a "through hike" means to hike in one session or outing, the entire length of a particular trail.  I've done multi-day section hikes on the  Appalachian Trail (AT) before, but for this hike we scheduled 23 days.  So, this was not just a

Let There be (additional wirelessly controlled portable electronic) Light! With Canon 600RT

Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  I've always held fast to the notion that there is nothing more beautiful of a light source than the natural light and I still do. I sometimes like to at least try to prove myself wrong. The reason being is that I believe that your ideas can, and should change… At least welcome the notion of that change. As it is true with many of my photographic ideas, some of the ideas have roots that goes way back.  I was flirting with the idea of shooting nature with electronic flash. Yes, that's sacrilegious to many including myself, till I realized that while believing in something strongly is good, holding onto something too strongly can lead to stagnation. And as we know, stagnation leads to death! Yes, Death! (repetition for dramatic effect). Canon 5D MK3, 50 1.2L, with 600EX-RT triggered by ST-E3-RT Click to see Portfolio  So today I headed out to the woods to test out this idea. Armed wit